Thursday, 11 June 2015

THE INTERVIEW: Ruthie Davis


Ruthie Davis. She's the FIERCE shoe designer behind the JAW-DROPPING, show-stopping shoes you see on the likes of Beyonce, Lady Gaga and J-Lo. They're the heels you pull on when you want to feel like you can handle anything; the shoes you turn to to rely on - that work with every ensemble you have in your wardrobe - that bring that touch of COOL to everything you own. And, I was lucky enough to throw a load of questions at the style icon, to find out what makes her tick....

See my interview with Ruthie Davis below
Click HERE to discover more of her collections...

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? 

Where did your shoe obsession begin? Was your own collection always the dream? 

'I've really been obsessed with shoes since my mother bought my first pair of red patent mary-janes... The story goes that I refused to take them off to pay, then kept them on through dinner, and finally when I went to bed that night. So, it was no shock that I found myself in the shoe industry, first at Reebok, then Ugg Australia, Tommy Hilfiger, and finally my own brand. I'm a woman obsessed and luckily, I've made a career out of it.'

You've collaborated with Duckie Brown on the catwalk – what is it about the brand's clothing that makes you want to collaborate with them? Who else, or what other brand, would you love to collaborate with on a collection?  

'Working with Duckie Brown was a special honor, as they asked me to do shoes for their first ever women’s collection. It was a total no-brainer! I’d love to collaborate with Anthony Vaccarello, his designs are powerful and sexy, like my shoes! I find myself obsessing over his designs and can see the shoes I would design in my mind and they are equally as fierce!'

How did you feel being nominated for a WGSN? 

'What an incredible honor to be nominated alongside major names like H&M x Alexander Wang, Topshop and Liberty of London. It’s beyond! John and I set out on this collaboration to benefit dog rescue and to offer high fashion vegan shoe options , so it is a real win-win.  Being recognized by the industry is the icing on the cake!'

You've created various bespoke shoes for the likes of Halle Berry, Lady Gaga and Zendaya – who would be next on your list to create a custom pair of shoes for? 

'Kate Moss has always been a  dream of mine to dress but I am currently OBSESSED with Taraji P. Henson of Empire. I recently met her at the CFDA Awards and we have become fast friends. She wears my shoes now, but I would love to design custom shoes for “Cookie."'

For AW15, what trends and styles are on your radar? What are you loving? What are your most recent inspirations? 

'I am loving that the platform is back in full force and am loving the super 70's inspired block heel on a sleek ankle boot for Fall.  My top inspiration is always a strong, sleek powerful and glamorous heroine like a James Bond girl - I like to dress to be a hero.' 

For all of the budding shoe designers out there, what three pieces of advice would you give them?
'My best advice is to find your passion and pursue it.  A genuine passion for what you are doing is the solid foundation for a career that will last the test of time. I believe that a lack of passion at any point is fatal. I also encourage budding shoe designers to work for as many larger brands as they can to gain valuable experience.  And lastly, I encourage them to learn about all aspects of the shoe industry and not to simply focus on design.  They need to understand sales, marketing, merchandising, public relations, etc.' 
Final Question: Your wardrobe is burning down, you have 10 seconds to decide which three pieces to save...what do you grab? 

'I would grab my white Chanel j12 Chrono watch, my Anthony Vaccarello cocktail dress, and my new Fall 2015 Ruthie Davis “Caper" boots… Easy decision. :)' 

A HUGE thank you to Ruthie Davis for the interview & Factory PR!




All images are sourced from Ruthie Davis/Factory PR

Like this post? Click on the below:



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment & let me know your blog link :)

©   | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig